The bellied body finely and elaboately chased in the rococo revival style. The sides with symmetrical shaped cartouches surrounded by punched beading enclosing on one side 2 engraved crests above armorials and motto "Fortune De Guerre", the other side vacant and all bordered by "c" scrolls below fine matted shells and with flared leafy scrolls underneath. The sides of the cartouches with panels of fish scales flanked by large foliate scrolls and flowers. The matted tapering upper part of the body superbly chased with with sprays of leaves and flowers all below diaper panels, shells and further leafy scrolls. The cast swan-neck spout with elegant fluting rising to a leaf-capped end and with a large leaf at the front and shellwork at the back separated by clusters of flowers. The fluted and scrolling handle rising to a matted leaf and applied to the flared rim chased with shells, leaves and scrolls. The hinged and domed lid chased with further shells, leaves and scrolls upon a matted ground and capped by a cast flower finial. The spreading base with a band of running flowers, leaves and scrolls on a matted ground. The underside of the base engraved "Green", "Ward" , "Green".
The crests, arms and motto are those of Wiggett Chute for William, born 1800 and died in 1879. He was the second son of The Rev. James Wiggett of Crudwell, Wilts. His mother, Rachel, was the daughter and heiress of Samuel Lyde of Ayott in Hampshire.
William went to school at Winchester College and then to University College, Oxford from which he graduated in 1821 and achieved an M.A in 1825. He was called to the Bar at Middle temple in 1827. In 1837 he married Martha, daughter of Theophilus Russell Buckworth in Cockley, Norfolk; this pot, therefore, was probably a wedding present.
Some years earlier in 1827 Chute inherited the estates of The Vyne in Hampshire and Pickenham Hall in Norfolk through the Rev. Thomas Vere Chute. From this time onward he took the name and arms of Chute by Royal Licence.
The superb quality of the chasing along with its wonderful condition make this one of the finest pots to emerge from Storr's workshop. Although later than the prime period of the revival of the rococo style the extraordinary workmanship is controlled and far more satisfying than the later and somewhat overpowering decoration of Victorian silversmiths.
The base is engraved with the names of one of the most prestigious firms of retails of the first half of the 19th century. Often in the shadow of Rundells, Green, Ward and Green sold some outstanding and important pieces principally to The Duke of Wellington for Apsley House. The firm was founded in 1789 by Thomas Green and John Ward who opened in Ludgate Street. John Green was made a partner in 1804 followed by George Ward in 1818. George left in 1829 and the firm reverted to Green, Ward and Green until c.1842.