The plain oval disc with wire border and finely engraved with the Arms of The Corporation of Trinity House. The back with 2 applied loops fixed horizontally at the top and bottom.
The Corporation of Trinity House was set up by Royal Charter in 1514. Its first master and principal founder was Thomas Spert who remained in office for 27 years. He had served as a Sailing Master on the Marie Rose and went on to become Clerk Controller of the Navy. He died in 1541 and there is a memorial to him in St Dunstan’s Church, Stepney.
Today, Trinity House has 3 main functions: It is the General Lighthouse Authority for England and Wales, It is the Principal Pilotage Authority for London and forty other districts and lastly it is the Charitable organisation for the relief of mariners.
These silver badges were worn by The Elder Brethren which essentially are The Court and there are 2 possible candidates for this particular badge as both were admitted on 6th February, 1823: Henry, 3rd Earl of Bathurst or Capt. Edward Chapman Bradford.
The present master is H.R.H The Princess Royal who recently took over from her father The Duke of Edinburgh. The Duke was the longest ever serving Master from 1969 until 2011.